Overview of the 2020 Apprentice String Quartet Program:
The Music in the Vineyards three-week, full-scholarship Apprentice String Quartet program for an emerging ensemble was created in 2018. The string quartet — selected by competitive video audition — will receive coaching from MITV resident ensembles, the artistic directors and festival musicians, will be featured in festival concerts alongside MITV musicians and will present community outreach performances.
- Apprenticeship Term: July 27 ‒ August 17, 2020
- Eligibility: The Apprenticeship is open to string quartets whose members are U.S. residents and individually are between the ages of 18 and 30.
- Financial: The Apprentice Quartet members will receive a weekly stipend of $400 to cover living expenses, five domestic airfare reimbursements up to $450 (includes cello), housing in the Napa Valley, all transportation and complimentary festival performance passes (when not performing)
Video Audition Requirements, in this order (technical details below) *:
a) Two works of contrasting styles or periods. One may be a contemporary work. Total music time not to exceed 15 minutes. Fade-outs OK.
b) Each member shall include a short (1-2 minute) spoken introduction. Please include a brief bio of yourself, what “community engagement” means to you, including any experience you may have had. You may also discuss any distinctive or unique features about you or your ensemble that would make you suitable for this apprenticeship. This is an important opportunity for us to get to know you!
- Submission deadline: January 24, 2020
- Notification Date: Mid February 2020
- Fill out an application and upload your video audition here
- Program Details:
- Week one of the residency will focus on the development of community engagement programs for differing audiences and venues, presentation skills and speaking to audiences from the stage.
- The selected ensemble will receive regular coaching with MITV resident ensembles and festival musicians during their three-week residency. In 2020 these ensembles will be the Escher and Maxwell String Quartets.
- The selected ensemble will have many performance opportunities as both a quartet and as individuals with other festival musicians. There will be at least 10 quartet performances in community venues plus major festival appearances.
- Members of the selected ensemble may assist MITV pianists in page-turning duties for performances and other duties as assigned.
- The selected quartet will have their photograph(s) and bios included on the festival website and in all festival PR publicity material including social media and community outreach posters.
The Apprentice String Quartet Program is taking place thanks to the generous support of the Napa Valley Performing Arts Foundation.