Overview of the String Quartet Fellowship Program:
The Music in the Vineyards three-week, full-scholarship String Quartet Fellowship Program for an emerging pre-professional ensemble was created in 2018. One string quartet — selected by national competitive video audition — has been chosen to join our roster of 40 professional musicians—including the Catalyst, Calidore and Telegraph Quartets for 2023—for three weeks of intensive mentoring and performance opportunities.
In addition to rehearsing and performing their own repertoire, the 2023 Fellowship Quartet has opportunities to perform alongside MITV artists on our main festival concert series. The 2022 Fellowship Quartet was the Ivalas Quartet recently named the Graduate Resident String Quartet at The Juilliard School.
The Fellowship Includes:
- All (domestic) travel expenses
- Housing and local transportation
- $400 weekly stipend per member
- Performance opportunities with festival musicians and ensembles
- Performance opportunities in the greater Napa community
- Intensive ensemble coaching and rehearsals.
- Opportunities for private lessons
Entries for the 2024 program will be accepted from fall 2023 through to the end of January 2024. An application form will be posted on the website following this year's festival.
- A video of two contrasting movements of any length.
- A short (1-3 minute) spoken introduction from each member that includes a brief personal bio and any distinctive or unique features about your ensemble that would make you suitable for this Fellowship
- A comprehensive quartet repertoire list.
The Apprentice String Quartet Program is taking place thanks to the generous support of the Napa Valley Performing Arts Foundation.