Applications are now closed, The winning quartet will be notified by January 21, 2019.
2019 String Quartet Apprenticeship Program:
In 2018, Music in the Vineyards created a three-week, full-scholarship String Quartet Apprenticeship program for an emerging ensemble.
The quartet — selected by competitive video audition — will focus on advanced artistic development and community engagement through intensive collaboration with MITV festival artists.
- Apprenticeship Term: July 29 ‒ August 19, 2019
- Eligibility: The Apprenticeship is open to emerging string quartets whose members are U.S. residents and individually are between the ages of 18 and 30.
- Financial: The Apprenticeship Quartet members will receive a weekly stipend of $400 to cover living expenses, five domestic airfare reimbursements (includes cello), housing in the Napa Valley, all transportation and complimentary festival performance passes (when not performing) Video Audition Requirements, in this order (technical details below) *:
- Two works of contrasting styles or periods. One may be a contemporary work. Total music time not to exceed 15 minutes. Fade-outs OK.
- Each member shall include a short (1-2 minute) spoken introduction. Please include a brief bio of yourself, what “community engagement” means to you, including any experience you may have had. You may also discuss any distinctive or unique features about you or your ensemble that would make you suitable for this apprenticeship. This is an important opportunity for us to get to know you!
- Submission deadline: January 14, 2019
- Notification Date: January 21 2019
- Fill out an application and upload your video audition here
- Program Details:
- Week one of the residency will focus on the development of community engagement programs, presentation skills and addressing audiences from the stage.
- The selected ensemble will receive regular coaching with MITV resident ensembles and festival musicians during their three-week residency. In 2019 these ensembles will be the Dover, Tesla and Pacifica String Quartets.
- The selected ensemble will have many performance opportunities as both a quartet and as individuals with other festival musicians.
- Members of the selected ensemble may be expected to assist MITV pianists in page-turning duties for performances and other duties as assigned.
Music in the Vineyards is creating a three-week, full-scholarship String Quartet Apprenticeship program for an emerging young ensemble.
The quartet—which will be selected by competitive video audition through a nation-wide search—will receive coaching with MITV resident ensembles and roster musicians, will be included in regular performances as part of the MITV roster of musicians and will participate in outreach activities as assigned.
The String Quartet Apprenticeship Program is taking place thanks to the generous support of the Napa Valley Performing Arts Foundation.