String Quartet Apprenticeship Program:
Music in the Vineyards is creating a three-week, full-scholarship String Quartet Apprenticeship program for an emerging young ensemble.
The quartet—which will be selected by competitive video audition through a nation-wide search—will receive coaching with MITV resident ensembles and roster musicians, will be included in regular performances as part of the MITV roster of musicians and will participate in outreach activities as assigned.
- Apprenticeship Term: July 30 - August 20, 2018
- Eligibility: Apprenticeship is open to an emerging young string quartet, residents of the U.S. whose members individually are between the ages of 18 and 30.
- Financial: The quartet will receive a stipend to cover living expenses, housing in the Napa Valley, five domestic airfare reimbursements (includes cello), a rental car (transportation provided for drivers too young to rent), complimentary festival performance passes (when not performing)
- Video Audition Repertoire: two works of contrasting styles or periods. One may be a contemporary work. Total time not to exceed 15 minutes.
- Submission deadline: January 5, 2018
- Notification Date: February 2, 2018
- Fill out an application and upload your video audition here
- Week one of the residency will focus on the development of specific outreach programs as well as oral presentation skills for addressing audiences from the stage. Three specific outreach programs will be developed: for children’s concerts, for seniors at retirement home recitals and for informal performances in unconventional venues such as restaurants, Farmers Markets or local bars. The presentation skills coaching will be overseen by Michael Adams, MITV Artistic Director. The outreach programs will be performed during the second and third weeks of the residency at venues around the Napa Valley.
- The selected ensemble will receive two coaching sessions per week with MITV resident ensembles and roster musicians. In 2018 these ensembles will include the Pacifica, Miro and Escher String Quartets.
- The selected ensemble will perform on MITV main concert series, as both a quartet and as individuals with other roster musicians.
- Members of the selected ensemble may be expected to assist MITV pianists in page-turning duties for performances and other duties as assigned.
The String Quartet Apprenticeship Program is taking place thanks to the generous support of the Napa Valley Performing Arts Foundation.