2023 Music in the Vineyards Festival
Solo Instrumental Competition
for string players and pianists
Open to California residents, Music in the Vineyards’ annual Solo Instrumental Competition will award $3,500 in prize money. A first and second prize will be awarded in both the Piano Division and the String Division. Applicants must be at least 13, and no older than 18, by March 1, 2023.
NOTE: All prizewinners must be available to perform live on July 29, 2023, at the Music in the Vineyards Winner’s Recital in Napa, CA to receive their award. Please do not apply if you will be unavailable to perform live on the July 29. (Note: a travel stipend is granted to finalists. See Guidelines below)
- Thursday, March 2, 2023 – Online application deadline (no videos).
- Thursday, March 23, 2023 – Preliminary Round video submission deadline.
- Saturday, June 3, 2023, 11:00am – Final Round, conducted live, online (no recorded performances allowed)
- Saturday, July 29, 2023 – Winners Recital at Music in the Vineyards Festival, Napa, CA (must be present to receive award)
Piano Division: 1st place – $1,000 2nd place – $750
Strings Division: 1st place – $1,000 2nd place – $750
- The Music in the Vineyards Festival Solo Instrumental Competition is open to string players (violin, viola, cello, double bass) and pianists who are at least 13, and no older than 18, by March 1, 2023 and are residents of California.
- “Application Only” Deadline (no video): March 2, 2023. Applicants will be given video upload instructions.
- The Preliminary Round will be conducted by video submissions due by March 23, 2023. Finalists will be notified by April 13, 2023. For your Preliminary Round video audition, record two separate pieces (preferably by contrasting composers) from the classical music repertoire, approximately 10 minutes in total length (partial movements or fade-outs are acceptable). Before each performance, please state your name, grade, age, and the composer and title of the piece.
- The Final Round will be conducted live, online, on June 3, 2023 (no recorded performances allowed)
- All prizewinners must be available to perform on July 29, 2023, at Music in the Vineyards Winner’s Recital in Napa, CA to receive their award. Please do not apply if you will be unable to appear on the August 5th Winners Recital. All Winners are eligible for a $250 travel stipend to defray costs of attending the finals.
- There will a first and second prize awarded in both the piano and strings division.
- Previous First Place competition winners are ineligible.